Malton - 01653 692247
York - 01904 716000
Wetherby - 01937 583210
Malton 01653 692247
Family & Children

Family Law Solicitors Malton, York & Wetherby

When a marriage or relationship breaks down, reaching agreement on the important issues can be challenging for everyone involved. At Pearsons & Ward, we provide clear and reliable support to couples to help them manage their separation and achieve outcomes that protect their interests and those of their children. We aim to avoid stressful and costly court proceedings wherever possible by taking a collaborative approach to reach a consensus. Our solicitors can help you to focus on what is most important, allowing you to make a fresh start as quickly as possible.

Family Law Solicitors Malton, York & Wetherby

Our Family Law department can offer advice on:

What is Collaborative Law?

Collaborative law is an approach used by family lawyers to manage the divorce process in a dignified manner. Solicitors and their clients make a written agreement to reach a settlement without going to court. They agree to work together to resolve outstanding matters, such as provisions for their children and financial issues, that arise from a divorce or separation. The parties use negotiation and other problem-solving techniques to help shape a fair agreement.

The collaborative law process involves you and your partner agreeing with your solicitors to settle issues without going to court. You and your lawyers meet face-to-face to reach an agreement. Both parties are required to provide all information and disclosure from the outset. You will be in control of the process with your solicitors present to provide legal advice and guidance.

What if collaborative law won’t work for me?

If collaborative law isn't appropriate for your circumstances, you and your partner can try mediation to achieve an agreement. A third party (a mediator) can help you to reach a settlement on matters such as money, property, and how your children will be cared for. If mediation is unsuccessful, you might have to go to court to settle your differences. If this happens, you will typically have to show that you have been to mediation and an information assessment meeting (MIAM) beforehand. This is an introductory meeting which explains what mediation is and how it can help.

What happens if we still can’t reach an agreement?

If you can't amicably reach a settlement, you may have to go to court. In England and Wales, disputes over marriage and children are dealt with by the Family Court. The Family Court can make decisions about who is entitled to what after a divorce or separation. It can also decide who should make maintenance payments and how much this should be, as well as decisions about where your children should live and when the other parent can see them.

The Family Court has many locations throughout the country. Judges of different ranks, ranging from magistrates with no legal qualifications to High Court judges, can hear cases. These are assigned based on the nature of the dispute and the complexity of the case. Most hearings concerning children are held in private.

Contact our Family & Child Law Solicitors in Yorkshire

To find out more about our Family & Child Law services and how we can help you, call us today on 01653 692247 (Malton) or 01904 716000 (York) or 01937 583210 (Wetherby), or complete our online enquiry form.

Contact us
Robert Bellhouse Bio
Robert Bellhouse Solicitor – Family
York Office, Wetherby Office

Contact Robert

Rachel Newsome Paralegal – Family
Malton Office

Contact Rachel